The bandana has quickly become one of the ubiquitous accessories of the season. A creative twist on this trend? Use a men's pocket square. Whenever I'm browsing for gifts for my husband at Hermes, the lovely sales associates remind me that their men's pocket squares can also be worn as small women's scarves. It is a chic way to add a little pop of color and interest to your outfit. They are also the perfect size to tie onto your handbag. Something to consider the next time you're out shopping for your husband!
The part of summer has come where it is just too hot to wear jeans, especially in South Florida. I know I am not the only one who finds it difficult to find nice shorts that can take you from day to night . To be clear, I am not referring to cut-off denim! I was so happy when I spotted these adorable paper-bag waist shorts at Intermix. They are perfect for running around with the kids during the day and polished enough for a casual dinner out with friends. They would even work with high heel sandals or wedges for a more dressed up look. For those who are looking, here are a few other styles that also fit the bill: Alexis high-waist lace shorts, Frame le paperbag shorts, ALC loop-detail shorts, Rag & Bone lace-up denim shorts, and Club Monaco scalloped hem shorts. xo
There is nothing more impactful than the timeless combination of black and white. A perfect palette for transitioning from summer into pre-fall, we've compiled an edit of our favorite styles of the season. From this so chic ivory Alexis off-the-shoulder romper with black satin piping to the most sleek everyday Saint Laurent Shopping Tote and the statement-making sunnies: Illesteva Leonard II in black/white camo, these styles are sure to make a graphic statement. xo
What I love about this top is that it combines two of the things I cannot get enough of right now - stripes and an off-the-shoulder silhouette. It is surprisingly versatile - can be worn with the buttons down the front or back, with hem tied in a knot or worn as a longer tunic, and the sleeves can be cuffed up or down. Here, I wore it knotted with white jeans and kept my accessories simple - flat leather sandals and a straw tote for a casual, beachy look.
1. I've been wearing this fragrance, Bronze Goddess, exclusively on tropical vacations for years. With notes of amber, Tahitian gardenia, and coconut, it reminds me of a day at the beach. Summer in a bottle.
2. All of of the time spent in the pool/beach/boat tends to take a toll on one's hair. For me, it is especially bad because my color-treated hair already needs a little TLC. A few sprays of Phytomist, a very light leave-in conditioner is a life-saver for combing through wet hair.
3. I can't get enough of these Chanel Rouge Allure lip glosses - they are long-lasting, the perfect consistency, and this prettiest shade of pink (Extase 16) adds enough polish to a very low-maintenance summer makeup look.
4. I love a classic red nail and Essie Lollipop is the absolute perfect shade of red. I once read that this is also Olivia Palermo's go-to nail color, which confirmed my initial bias. :)
5. Clarins Body Lift - this is the best for smoothing and firming skin pre-bathing suit, for problem areas such as thighs and tummy, especially if you're like me and have had a baby in recent years.
6. Guerlain Terracotta Bronzer - the one and only bronzer I have been buying on repeat for the past five+ years. I love that it is a mix of blush and bronzers of different shades, matte and a hint of shimmer. It gives the most authentic sun-kissed glow, and there is no need to wear blush!
7. When we moved to Florida, my husband tasked me with finding the best facial sunscreen/moisturizer because he bikes to work and did not want to wear both every day. I discovered this EltaMD Sunscreen UVfacial, which is super lightweight but actually feels moisturizing, and is completely non-greasy. It is also paraben-free which is a huge plus.
8. Sadly, I was not blessed with the beautiful long eyelashes that both of my sons have. I have always been hesitant to try any of the eyelash growth/extension products, but my brother swears by Revitalash, so I finally gave it a try. After just a few weeks, my lashes were noticeably longer.
What are some of your favorite summer beauty essentials?
The off-the-shoulder silhouette is one of the hottest looks of the season, and is, incidentally, one of the easiest pieces you can purchase to update your summer wardrobe. Done in both dresses and blouses in every iteration from menswear shirting to feminine lace, this modern look can be worn with something you already own and still make a bold statement. Maybe it's the subtle sexiness or the fun flirty flair; whatever it is, I personally can not stop buying them. Check back soon for an entire dedicated post.
In the meantime, here is a little outfit inspiration centered around an off-the-shoulder lace blouse (by Alexis, one of my new favorite designers) that I wore recently to celebrate my birthday with my family back in Kansas City. Such a detailed top takes center stage and I kept the rest of my look simple and effortless - my go-to white AG jeans, Castañer espadrille wedges (ever the classic) and Goyard tote.
Still catching up on outfit posts from our trip to Florida, and going through these pictures, I am so wishing for warm weather in Connecticut! Here, we were heading to sunset drinks on the beach and then dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in the Keys - Pierre's. I paired a bright pink pencil skirt with a simple black silk camisole and had a little fun with some resort-inspired accessories. A black straw clutch from a market in Santorini, some festive tassel earrings and a nude high heel sandal.
This season, white is everywhere, in all forms and in all textures. One of our spring essentials is the little white dress - such a versatile piece which can be dressed down for day and up for evening, and worn for an endless string of occasions. Here, I'm wearing an asymmetric white eyelet dress. To add a little edge to this otherwise girly dress, I accessorized with long beaded tassel earrings and nude platform sandals. I apologize that these sandals have shown up in all of my posts lately - a true testament to packing light on my recent trip to Florida!