The part of summer has come where it is just too hot to wear jeans, especially in South Florida. I know I am not the only one who finds it difficult to find nice shorts that can take you from day to night . To be clear, I am not referring to cut-off denim! I was so happy when I spotted these adorable paper-bag waist shorts at Intermix. They are perfect for running around with the kids during the day and polished enough for a casual dinner out with friends. They would even work with high heel sandals or wedges for a more dressed up look. For those who are looking, here are a few other styles that also fit the bill: Alexis high-waist lace shorts, Frame le paperbag shorts, ALC loop-detail shorts, Rag & Bone lace-up denim shorts, and Club Monaco scalloped hem shorts. xo
Who doesn't love stripes? This Milly dress puts a modern spin on the traditional nautical stripes we've seen over and over again, yet is still classic enough to become a wardrobe mainstay.
Prompted by my recent move and inspired by The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, I have made serious strides in streamlining my wardrobe. So when it comes to buying a new piece, versatility is key. What I love about this dress is how it can be worn to so many different occasions - a nice day of shopping, a bridal shower, an evening out or a summer barbecue. The pattern and silhouette are simple enough that you can dress it up or down, depending on the accessories.
Friends: it has been months since our last post; but alas, I am back, and with my second son in tow (nearly eight months!) and as a new resident of Palm Beach, Florida! I really can't complain. Michelle, on the other hand, has been (and is still) galavanting around Europe with no date to return to NYC anytime soon. Can you blame her?
Let's get down to business. One of our favorite trends this spring/summer is GINGHAM. In our opinion, nothing says summer like gingham, whether it is in black, red, blue or pink. With busy prints such as this, it is best to start with one statement piece and take it from there. For a little weekend bike ride around our new neighborhood, I wore a flirty gingham ruffled top with skinny white denim and another little splash of gingham done in a knotted slide. For a pop of color, I accessorized with my classic red Hayden Lasher Belgian Bag and my husband's spiffy new Brooklyn Bicicyle. :)
It's no secret that I love hot pink, so when I spotted this dress at Calypso, it was a must. The delicate gold embroidery and sequin detail gives the dress a very worldly feel, as if it could have been picked up on a trip to Marrakech. With the vibrant color and embellishment, the dress is the pièce de résistance, so I kept my jewelry minimal and accessories neutral. Perfect for a dinner party at our friend's home in Palm Beach!
Considering yesterday's snowstorm in the northeast, it is still a bit early to be dressing for spring! Nonetheless, I thought I'd provide a little spring inspiration from our recent trip to Palm Beach. This was a great day-to-evening look that I wore for afternoon shopping along Worth Avenue (more to come on that later) and then dinner at Bice. One of my favorite, and most versatile, wardrobe essentials is a little tailored jacket that can be worn over the most basic pieces to add a bit of polish and pull the look together. Here, I paired a classic ivory tweed jacket from my days at Oscar with white jeans and a white tank top. To complement the white and ivory, I kept my accessories neutral - nude platform sandals and a ladylike top-handle bag in blush. As winter is (hopefully) about to start winding down, this is the perfect time to start working these light neutrals into your wardrobe!
After what seems like the longest winter, I am thrilled to be heading south to Florida with my husband and son for a couple weeks. Hopefully when we return, these frigid temps in Connecticut will have passed! I must admit, I haven't done much spring shopping yet (the idea of trying on spring clothes without a hint of a tan is not very appealing to me) but here is a selection of must-pack items based on styles I already have (or want!). Perfect for days spent lounging by the pool, shopping along Worth Avenue and dinners al fresco. After a week in Palm Beach we will be going further south to Islamorada. The Keys are decidedly more casual and I am completely content to stay in my swimsuit all day and only get dressed for dinner. On a side note, I haven't been to Palm Beach in ages... does anybody have any recommendations for shopping, restaurants, etc.?
1. Turquoise jewelry looks so good with a tan, and these Kenneth Jay Lane drop earrings are no exception. $125.
2. We love this oversize straw hat by Sensi Studio to shade the face from sun while lounging by the pool. $230.
3. The scalloped detail on this Marysia bikini is so unique and the pretty blush is timeless. $260.
4. We adore everything about this top by J.W. Anderson - the modern assymetric shape, the pleating and the classic shirting stripes. $855.
5. Such a great classic wardrobe staple, this Moschino shirtdress can be dressed up or down for so many occasions. $950.
7. Classic white skinny jeans go with everything and seamlessly go from day to night. An absolute essential. $175.
8. If you want to pack light, go with a pair of classic black or tortoise shell sunglasses as they can be worn with nearly everything. We love this pair by Oliver Peoples. $335.
9. This blush/bronzer duo by Guerlain perfectly enhances a tan and can be customized based on your skin color.date. $76.
10. Valentino's rockstud jelly sandals go seamlessly from pool to lunch. $295.
11. For those of us who don't yet have a tan... St. Tropez self-tanning lotion is great for layering and gives a natural, golden bronze glow. $42.