We will be the first to admit to constantly perusing the Resort and Spring 2015 collections, but let's face it - we will still be cocooned in coats for the next two months. Thankfully, there is a strong emphasis on outerwear this season that we are totally on board with. From oversized "borrowed from the boys" coats to ultra-feminine styles in blush and magenta, to fabulous furs and dramatic capes, there are countless ways to switch up your look through the end of winter.
Get creative with the way you style your outerwear and make it a deliberate part of your complete look. A classic camel coat looks so chic over all black or neutrals (whites and greys, especially). Make a statement in a bold colored or printed coat by wearing an otherwise solid, tonal outfit underneath. Cinch the waist with a belt. Wear over your shoulders for a nonchalant, editorial look. Lastly, don't forget to accessorize! Channel the chic 70's vibe that's happening and top your look with a structured felt hat. Slip on an elegant pair of leather gloves. Or, layer on a oversized fur collar for a dramatic effect. Check out our Pinterest board for more inspiration from our favorite street style cognoscenti.
As 2014 is coming to a close, we ponder our big-picture life resolutions for the upcoming new year, but we also thought it would be fun to share some of our style resolutions for 2015. Stay tuned this week for a more in-depth highlight on resolutions 1, 2 and 3!
1. Invest in quality, timeless pieces. It is amazing how a great pair of well-made shoes or luxurious handbag can elevate an everyday look. If you're looking to splurge on any one item, make it something that you will get excited about every time you put it on and will wear for years to come.
2. Wear more color! Lately, we've been in full-on neutral territory where it seems like all we have been buying (and wearing) is black, camel and grey. While these classic neutrals are a great foundation for any wardrobe, the resort collections in vibrant orange, magenta and cerulean are beckoning!
3. Dress more polished for daytime. If you work from home or stay home with your kids, it is so easy to get into the suburban rut of post-workout Lululemon turns into an all-day uniform. Yes, we have those days, too! However, there is something about getting dressed for the day that triggers your brain to be more productive. Vince, Theory and J. Crew are some of our go-to brands for casual, yet chic separates perfect for everyday.
4. Do a seasonal wardrobe sweep. This may take awhile, but try to go through every item in your closet and evaluate whether to toss, donate, consign (we send our gently-used designer items to therealreal) or tailor/repair items accordingly.
5. Incorporate a strict one-in, one-out policy! (My husband inspired this one.) Once the wardrobe sweep is complete, to prevent closet clutter from building up again, we vow to get rid of one item for every new item that we buy.
What are some of your new year's style resolutions?
Art Basel Miami