Apologies for our brief blogging hiatus… it's summer, what can we say?!
In other news, while we don't generally do dedicated beauty posts, I have been asked recently about the products I use during pregnancy. For those who know me, I am a strong believer in all-natural childbirth; so naturally, I do an overhaul of my skincare regimen to include safer products during pregnancy. It is recommended to avoid retinoids, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, aluminum chloride, and parabens during pregnancy because they soak into your skin (and enter your bloodstream) and could be harmful to the baby. Not surprisingly, it can be difficult to find products that actually work without all of those active ingredients! Here are some of my must-haves from my first pregnancy that I loved so much I have continued to use in my normal routine and throughout this pregnancy as well. I would love to hear if some of you have favorites as well! xo, Courtney
1. Normally, I am a big salicylic acid / glycolic acid cleanser fan, so I was worried about finding a suitable alternative. After some trial and error I stumbled upon this Avene Cleanance Gel Cleanser - it lathers nicely and makes my skin feel so clean and fresh.
2. Unable to get chemical peels during pregnancy, I feel like my skin needs a little extra TLC. I love the Clarisonic because I know I'm getting a deep clean and exfoliation; needless to say, this has become a year-round staple.
3. A Parisian pharmacy find (my favorite!), I discovered the Avene Thermal Spring Water several years ago and have been using it ever since. I use this as my toner after cleansing and also to set my makeup.
4. I've been using this lightweight La Mer Gel Moisturizing Creme for nearly ten years and was so happy to find out that it is indeed paraben-free.
5. Love this rich, but lightweight La Mer Eye Concentrate, another favorite which I was thrilled fit the bill for pregnancy-safe beauty.
6. I used this inexpensive Palmer's Cocoa Butter Massage Cream during my last pregnancy and am happy to report stretch-mark free! I applied this every morning and used a more intense oil at night.
7. Another success during my last pregnancy, so I've continued using the Weleda Stretch Mark Massage Oil at night.
8. I discovered this Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Dry Oil about five years ago in Monaco - it smells absolutely heavenly! A blend of sweet almond oil, macadamia oil, etc. - I use it as a light body moisturizer year-round and during the first few months of pregnancy before diving into the stretch mark creams.
9. It was a bit harder to find an effective aluminum-free deodorant... the Weleda Wild Rose Deodorant is the best one I've found so far and I love the rose scent.