There is nothing more impactful than the timeless combination of black and white. A perfect palette for transitioning from summer into pre-fall, we've compiled an edit of our favorite styles of the season. From this so chic ivory Alexis off-the-shoulder romper with black satin piping to the most sleek everyday Saint Laurent Shopping Tote and the statement-making sunnies: Illesteva Leonard II in black/white camo, these styles are sure to make a graphic statement. xo
What I love about this top is that it combines two of the things I cannot get enough of right now - stripes and an off-the-shoulder silhouette. It is surprisingly versatile - can be worn with the buttons down the front or back, with hem tied in a knot or worn as a longer tunic, and the sleeves can be cuffed up or down. Here, I wore it knotted with white jeans and kept my accessories simple - flat leather sandals and a straw tote for a casual, beachy look.
1. I've been wearing this fragrance, Bronze Goddess, exclusively on tropical vacations for years. With notes of amber, Tahitian gardenia, and coconut, it reminds me of a day at the beach. Summer in a bottle.
2. All of of the time spent in the pool/beach/boat tends to take a toll on one's hair. For me, it is especially bad because my color-treated hair already needs a little TLC. A few sprays of Phytomist, a very light leave-in conditioner is a life-saver for combing through wet hair.
3. I can't get enough of these Chanel Rouge Allure lip glosses - they are long-lasting, the perfect consistency, and this prettiest shade of pink (Extase 16) adds enough polish to a very low-maintenance summer makeup look.
4. I love a classic red nail and Essie Lollipop is the absolute perfect shade of red. I once read that this is also Olivia Palermo's go-to nail color, which confirmed my initial bias. :)
5. Clarins Body Lift - this is the best for smoothing and firming skin pre-bathing suit, for problem areas such as thighs and tummy, especially if you're like me and have had a baby in recent years.
6. Guerlain Terracotta Bronzer - the one and only bronzer I have been buying on repeat for the past five+ years. I love that it is a mix of blush and bronzers of different shades, matte and a hint of shimmer. It gives the most authentic sun-kissed glow, and there is no need to wear blush!
7. When we moved to Florida, my husband tasked me with finding the best facial sunscreen/moisturizer because he bikes to work and did not want to wear both every day. I discovered this EltaMD Sunscreen UVfacial, which is super lightweight but actually feels moisturizing, and is completely non-greasy. It is also paraben-free which is a huge plus.
8. Sadly, I was not blessed with the beautiful long eyelashes that both of my sons have. I have always been hesitant to try any of the eyelash growth/extension products, but my brother swears by Revitalash, so I finally gave it a try. After just a few weeks, my lashes were noticeably longer.
What are some of your favorite summer beauty essentials?
It is no secret that I can't get enough of the off-the-shoulder silhouette this season and this top has been in serious rotation in my wardrobe lately. The simplicity of this particular style lends itself to so many different looks, working equally well with jeans or tucked into a high-waisted skirt or shorts. Mine is by Milly but I LOVE these similar versions as well: Alexis, Style Mafia, Free People, Caroline Constas, and Chelsea28.
Truly one of the most classic and versatile pieces you can add to your summer wardrobe, the white dress is an absolute essential. Over the years I have amassed quite a collection, ranging from long and flowing to fitted crocheted styles, intricate lace and crisp button-up shirt dresses; one can never have too many. When I spotted this lightweight cotton Theory dress, I was sold. An understated sheath from the front with a modern cutout detail finished with a bow in the back, this style will be a wardrobe staple for years to come. When it comes to accessorizing, the options are endless. I spent the Fourth of July weekend in Islamorada, Florida and went with a casual island-inspired look for evening - turquoise silk tassel earrings, white chain-trim flat sandals and my monogrammed island bag from Palm Beach-based designer, Amanda Lindroth. How do you accessorize your summer whites?
With Fourth of July quickly approaching, it is time to start thinking about what to pack for the festive weekend. Being the good patriots that we are, we love an excuse to work a little red, white and blue into our holiday wardrobes. There are so many fun options right now and we are especially loving the ethnic embroidery that is popping up on everything from tunics to tote bags. It is also an opportune time to add a little Americana with your accessories, including footwear - how adorable are these red pom pom espadrilles? If all-white is more your thing, at the very least, add a pop of color with a classic red nail or lip. Bonus - everyone is having summer sales right now so it is the perfect time to stock up on those end-of-summer essentials!
Who doesn't love stripes? This Milly dress puts a modern spin on the traditional nautical stripes we've seen over and over again, yet is still classic enough to become a wardrobe mainstay.
Prompted by my recent move and inspired by The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, I have made serious strides in streamlining my wardrobe. So when it comes to buying a new piece, versatility is key. What I love about this dress is how it can be worn to so many different occasions - a nice day of shopping, a bridal shower, an evening out or a summer barbecue. The pattern and silhouette are simple enough that you can dress it up or down, depending on the accessories.
Nothing quite says "summer" like white. In fact, lately, it is all we have been wanting to wear. Whether you gravitate towards minimalism or the bohemian luxe vibe, white effortlessly lends itself to both overarching movements. Go sleek and sophisticated with clean lines and modern accessories or have fun with textures and embellishment (lace, fringe, jacquard, tassels). Lastly, don't be afraid to mix shades of white and ivory!
The off-the-shoulder silhouette is one of the hottest looks of the season, and is, incidentally, one of the easiest pieces you can purchase to update your summer wardrobe. Done in both dresses and blouses in every iteration from menswear shirting to feminine lace, this modern look can be worn with something you already own and still make a bold statement. Maybe it's the subtle sexiness or the fun flirty flair; whatever it is, I personally can not stop buying them. Check back soon for an entire dedicated post.
In the meantime, here is a little outfit inspiration centered around an off-the-shoulder lace blouse (by Alexis, one of my new favorite designers) that I wore recently to celebrate my birthday with my family back in Kansas City. Such a detailed top takes center stage and I kept the rest of my look simple and effortless - my go-to white AG jeans, Castañer espadrille wedges (ever the classic) and Goyard tote.
Memorial Day weekend has officially kicked off! To get in the spirit, we have compiled a little inspiration board of styles to add to your summer beach/pool repertoire. We are loving all of the whimsical and bohemian elements such as intricate embroidery, tassels and scalloped detailing gracing everything from swimwear, caftans, hats and totes. Did we mention shoes?! That will require its own post.
This navy Figue caftan is equally suitable to throw on over your swimsuit poolside or paired with skinny jeans and wedges for a casual evening look. What better way to add a dose of drama to a solid, chic swimsuit than an oversize straw hat with sequin embroidery? For this, we adore modern milliner Eugenia Kim. Our favorite swimwear designer right now is Marysia - we love her feminine scalloped detailing, and they have so many styles to choose from. Lastly, how adorable are these embroidered and tasseled straw bags? So versatile - perfect for a weekend getaway if you can only pack one bag.
Happy Memorial Day! We hope everyone has a fabulous weekend planned!
Friends: it has been months since our last post; but alas, I am back, and with my second son in tow (nearly eight months!) and as a new resident of Palm Beach, Florida! I really can't complain. Michelle, on the other hand, has been (and is still) galavanting around Europe with no date to return to NYC anytime soon. Can you blame her?
Let's get down to business. One of our favorite trends this spring/summer is GINGHAM. In our opinion, nothing says summer like gingham, whether it is in black, red, blue or pink. With busy prints such as this, it is best to start with one statement piece and take it from there. For a little weekend bike ride around our new neighborhood, I wore a flirty gingham ruffled top with skinny white denim and another little splash of gingham done in a knotted slide. For a pop of color, I accessorized with my classic red Hayden Lasher Belgian Bag and my husband's spiffy new Brooklyn Bicicyle. :)
As summer is starting to wind down and fall fashion is everywhere we turn, we are so excited to start working some of the key pieces into our wardrobe! Everything this fall looks so new and fresh and we are especially loving the luxe bohemian looks that have evolved from spring. From silky printed blouses, drapey ponchos and capes, suede everything (skirts, heels, leggings...), chic knits, fringe, and fun updates in fur and shearling. We are also seeing a rich fall color palette - camel, burgandy, and gorgeous prints including paislies and dramatic florals. For accessories, look for wear-with-anything block heel booties, over the knee boots, the nonchalant cross-body bag or ladylike top-handle bag. We seriously can't wait. We will highlight some of the season's key trends in the upcoming months, but for now, here are some great pieces that feel so right, you can start working them into your wardrobe now and continue wearing them through fall. xo, Courtney
VANESSA BRUNO ATHE SLEEVELESS SWEATER // L'AGENCE LEATHER FRINGE SKIRT // SEE BY CHLOE SUEDE BOOTIES // RAG & BONE FELT FEDORA // CHLOE TAUPE DREW BAG // TORY BURCH FRINGE EARRINGS // SHASHI VINE RING // POLO RALPH LAUREN BUCKET BAG // THEORY IVORY KNIT DRESS, IN OLIVE AND BURGANDY HERE // AQUAZZURA BELGRAVIA HEELS
Apologies for our brief blogging hiatus… it's summer, what can we say?!
In other news, while we don't generally do dedicated beauty posts, I have been asked recently about the products I use during pregnancy. For those who know me, I am a strong believer in all-natural childbirth; so naturally, I do an overhaul of my skincare regimen to include safer products during pregnancy. It is recommended to avoid retinoids, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, aluminum chloride, and parabens during pregnancy because they soak into your skin (and enter your bloodstream) and could be harmful to the baby. Not surprisingly, it can be difficult to find products that actually work without all of those active ingredients! Here are some of my must-haves from my first pregnancy that I loved so much I have continued to use in my normal routine and throughout this pregnancy as well. I would love to hear if some of you have favorites as well! xo, Courtney
1. Normally, I am a big salicylic acid / glycolic acid cleanser fan, so I was worried about finding a suitable alternative. After some trial and error I stumbled upon this Avene Cleanance Gel Cleanser - it lathers nicely and makes my skin feel so clean and fresh.
2. Unable to get chemical peels during pregnancy, I feel like my skin needs a little extra TLC. I love the Clarisonic because I know I'm getting a deep clean and exfoliation; needless to say, this has become a year-round staple.
3. A Parisian pharmacy find (my favorite!), I discovered the Avene Thermal Spring Water several years ago and have been using it ever since. I use this as my toner after cleansing and also to set my makeup.
4. I've been using this lightweight La Mer Gel Moisturizing Creme for nearly ten years and was so happy to find out that it is indeed paraben-free.
5. Love this rich, but lightweight La Mer Eye Concentrate, another favorite which I was thrilled fit the bill for pregnancy-safe beauty.
6. I used this inexpensive Palmer's Cocoa Butter Massage Cream during my last pregnancy and am happy to report stretch-mark free! I applied this every morning and used a more intense oil at night.
7. Another success during my last pregnancy, so I've continued using the Weleda Stretch Mark Massage Oil at night.
8. I discovered this Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Dry Oil about five years ago in Monaco - it smells absolutely heavenly! A blend of sweet almond oil, macadamia oil, etc. - I use it as a light body moisturizer year-round and during the first few months of pregnancy before diving into the stretch mark creams.
9. It was a bit harder to find an effective aluminum-free deodorant... the Weleda Wild Rose Deodorant is the best one I've found so far and I love the rose scent.
One of the looks we are really into this season is the off-the-shoulder dress. It is such a simple style that flatters every body type and the ruffle flounce offers a flirty, fun look that can be dressed down for day or up for night.
Some of our favorites: this gorgeous cranberry Alice & Olivia would be perfect for a late summer or fall wedding. We also love this pretty eyelet version by Rebecca Minkoff - a quintessential white dress to add to your summer collection. This ivory style by Cynthia Rowley is equal parts sweet and sophisticated. Lastly, we adore this streamlined, sexy style by The Row - a modern twist on the LBD.
It seems the off-the-shoulder trend has staying power for another season because we are already seeing looks pop up for fall from designers such as Lela Rose, Valentino and Zac Posen. xo, Courtney
When it comes to summer evening attire, it doesn't get any simpler than a long breezy maxi dress. I live in white in the warmer months, and love anything with tassels so when I stumbled upon this dress, I could not resist. More importantly, it accommodates the growing baby bump.
On this particular evening, we were off to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants in Beaver Creek, Beano's Cabin. Known for its idyllic setting and incredible mountain-inspired prix fixe menu, Beano's is a special place. I grew up taking the sleigh ride through the snow (and singing Christmas carols along the way) in the winter and my husband and I held our wedding rehearsal dinner there three years ago. We were excited to take our son for the first time and he absolutely loved the ride up through the mountains - seeing horses and deer along the way. We can't wait to go back this winter! xo, Courtney